Fort William, Kolkata Overview
The relentless structure of Fort William is arranged in the city of Kolkata, on the eastern bank of the Hooghly River. Worked in the year 1696, the fortress gets its name from King William III and was the principal fortification of the British in the nation. The greatness of the building is apropos supplemented by its far reaching region, which is spread over 70.9 sections of land. The commanding structure of Fort William is adorned with several archlike windows and ignore lavish green greenery enclosures. Fastidious stonework decorates the outside of the building and took insofar as took ten years to achieve consummation. Be that as it may, it was before long understood that the building had a couple of provisos, and another octagonal building was developed whose establishment was laid by Sir Robert Clive.
Through the span of its reality, Fort William filled various needs, every one of which was as an unmistakable difference to the next. At first, it involved wings and an internal Bastille where detainees were pulled which is the reason it was known as ‘the dark gap of Calcutta’. Today, Fort William is the property of the Indian Army and has a limit of pleasing up to 10,000 armed force staff. It likewise fills in as the base camp of the Eastern Command. Because of its significance as for Indian knowledge, access to William Fort is constrained to armed force work force and their relatives. Notwithstanding, you can visit the castle for its honorable structure.
History of Fort William
Fortification William has a long and famous history joined to its name. Strikingly, there are two Fort Williams. The first one was worked in 1696 by the British East India Company under the specialist of John Goldsborough. The development was begun along the Hooghly stream and the South-East Bastion was the principal its neighboring dividers were the main areas to be built. In the long run, it was named in the wake of King William III in the year 1700. 1701 saw John Beard adding the North-East bastion to the post and the development of the Government House was begun right in the focal point of the stronghold. At long last, Fort William was finished in the year 1706 with the last structure having two stories and anticipating wings. An inner watch room turned into the ‘Dark Hole of Calcutta’.
In 1756, the Nawab of Bengal, Siraj Ud Daulah, assaulted the Wiliam Fort and briefly vanquished the city. He renamed the area ‘Alinagar’ and expected control of the post too. This drove the British to assemble another stronghold in the Maidan under the careful gaze of Robert Clive. The development of the new fortification started in 1758, after the Batte of Plassey in 1757. A time of two years and an expense of roughly two million pounds was brought about too.
Engineering of Fort William
The new Willliam Fort is octagonal fit as a fiddle and has a monumental structure made out of block and concrete. Three of its sides confronted the River Ganga while the staying five had a wonderful maidan loaded with greenery before it. The plan of the fortress pursues the example of a star and was built to such an extent that it was invulnerable against gun shooting slid shot. A channel was incorporated into the structure too which gave security against flame and warriors endeavoring to enter the divider. There are six entryways that give access to the fortress, in particular Chowringhee, Plassey, Calcutta, Water Gate, St Georges and the Treasury Gate. St. Subside Church was developed inside the new Fort in the year 1928.
Present-day offices at Fort William
The fortress is currently under the expert of the Indian Army. At present, the stronghold has numerous cutting edge offices it offers to its living individuals including swimming pool, terminating range and a boxing arena. It is sufficiently vast to house almost 10,000 understudies and is a noteworthy asset for the Indian Armed Forces.